Friday, August 1, 2008

30 Years Old

7/31 Marked an important birthday. As Jon put it, I was ushered in to a new demographic. I was surprisingly ok with turning 30. It really was a fantastic day. There really was quite the outpouring of love, I really appreciated all of the calls, texts, and messages wishing me a happy birthday. My ritual over the past 8 or so years has been to take the day off work and spoil myself in some way. Since I'm pretty good at buying myself things regardless of the day of the year, my birthday has turned into more of a day of introspection.

I hadn't planned anything specific, I like to just kind of let the day happen, friends and family that call and want to do stuff usually defines how it plays out, if no one calls I end up at Guitar Center or the mall. This year, after sleeping in a bit (not much, just an extra hour) and taking my time getting ready. Mom and I decided that it would be fun to go down and see the Monet to Picasso exhibit at the UMFA. We presented the idea to Dad and he decided he was in as well. So off we went, when we were getting close to downtown we thought it might be fun to see if anyone was around on their lunch hour. Joel and Jeremy were available so we met them at Mazza - middle easter cuisine - and had a tasty lunch. Then we were off to the musuem.

The exhibit was absolutely perfect. It took about two hours to see everything, plus walking back and spending some time with the pieces that made an impact. It was emotional, exciting, invigorating, thought provoking, and heartwrenching - everything that good art should be. It was amazing to be right in front of such iconic pieces of art. To see the master's brush strokes, the way the paint laid on the canvas. It was fun to discover new pieces of art and come to understand just a little bit better some of the artists. I highly recommend that everyone take the time to see this exhibit. It's been on tour for a few years, so if it comes through your town, check it out.

That evening a few of my friends wanted to take me down to The Red Iguana, a tasty meal as always. I got the carnitas and the restaraunt hooked me up with some tres leches cake. After that I got home and spent the final hour or two of the day relaxed and taking it all in. If this is what it's like to be 30, then I'm in.



1 comment:

Matt said...

I'd have to say that 30 is "THE" age to be. At least until next year.